Having developed the plan and delivered the project, it is crucial to monitor the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns and the relative success of any customer touch points.
How do you know if your goals have been achieved? What corrective action might be required to ensure they are reached? Effective marketing plans should incorporate measures to capture and analyse data along the way, with a view to maximising control.
A variety of qualitative and quantitative data may be gathered, from an internal assessment of the project, such as team debriefs, or alternatively, specific marketing metrics. These may include:
- Number of enquiries, leads and conversions – whether for print, digital, advertising, PR
- Actual cost to generate each response
- Average order value of the campaign
- Product sales or market share and penetration, before and after the campaign
- Number of enquiries from prospects/potential new customers – by segment and size
- General customer feedback – tracking brand/product awareness, attitudes and perceptions and impact on purchasing behaviour